Representing Employees Throughout Colorado


Retaliatory Discharge

Wrongful Discharge

Wage Dispute/Theft

Pregnancy Discrimination

Qui Tam

Employment Discrimination

Family Leave and Medical Act (FLMA)

Americans with Disabilities Act

Sexual Harassment

Wage Claim Act

Hostile Work Place Environment

Denver Wage Claim Act

Exercising Your Legal Rights Under the Colorado Wage Claim Act

Most people work their entire lives without having to deal with a serious dispute with an employer. One difficult situation that can arise, however, is a termination — firing, discharge or layoff — followed by the employer’s refusal to pay you what you lawfully earned while still employed.
Important federal and state labor laws are in place to cover tough disputes involving payment of wages and extension of benefits. If you feel you are being denied money you earned by the employer who discharged you, and common-sense attempts to resolve the situation fail, contact us, the attorneys of the Denver law firm Robert M. Liechty, PC.

Specific Labor Laws Offer Protection to Discharged Employees

Fundamental protections, principles and considerations associated with the Colorado Wage Claim Act, commonly called the “Wage Act,” include:
If you are terminated from your employment, you have a right to receive all compensation earned to the date of termination, often including unpaid commissions.
If your employer does not pay you what you are owed by the time of your next scheduled paycheck, you are entitled under Colorado labor law to recover over twice the amount of that unpaid compensation.
To satisfy the requirements of the statute, you must write to your employer within 60 days of your termination and specifically request full payment, including wages, unpaid business expenses, any leave for which you are owed, and any other compensation you believe is due to you. Your employer may deduct anything that you lawfully owe the employer.
In your letter, you must also tell your former employer where to send the payment. If you do not receive full payment within 14 days, you may then bring a lawsuit against your employer.
The statute also provides that if you prevail, your employer must pay your attorney’s fees, and these fees cannot be subtracted from what your employer legally owes you.

Proven Employment Lawyers, Ready to Take Action for You

You may contact us to file suit if you cannot resolve this matter yourself. We will work diligently to understand your situation and sort out any concerns, while also explaining risks and potential costs. Our constant focus is on your well-being, and we are experienced in invoking labor laws to help you recover what is lawfully yours.

Robert M. Liechty

Attorney at Law

Contact Preferences
How would you like to be contacted?
Check all that apply.

 E-mail Phone

How Can We Help You?

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.